If you’ve landed here, chances are you are the owner or manager of a single-ply commercial roof or are considering having one installed. Alley Capital, LLC, is Joplin, MO’s local single-ply roofing expert and full-service commercial roofing company.
Call us today at (417) 825-0286 to learn more about the endless possibilities a new or improved single-ply roofing system can offer you, and put yourself in the capable, honest, hardworking hands of the roofing technicians at Alley Capital.
Single-Ply Roofs: Pros & Cons
Like any roofing system, single-ply roofs have a unique set of strengths and weaknesses. Whether a single-ply roof is the right option for you depends largely on your building’s location and your specific needs and goals. Here is a list of general single-ply pros and cons (may vary slightly, depending on the type of single-ply):
- Easy to install, meaning lower labor costs
- Less expensive than some other systems
- Extreme flexibility – does well with large fluctuations in temperature
- Excellent protection against acid rain
- Superior resistance to many chemicals
- Comes in a wide variety of protective grades/levels
- Very reflective (some, like rubber roofs, may require the addition of a topcoat)
- Thinner construction can make them easier to rip, tear, or otherwise puncture
- Shorter lifespan than some other roofing systems
- Seams are weak points
- Particularly susceptible to ponding water
All About Single-Ply Roofing
If you are looking for the most knowledgeable, capable single-ply commercial roofing contractor in Missouri, Alley Capital is it. During our 20 years in business, we’ve inspected, repaired, restored, and replaced hundreds of single-ply roofs across the state. If you have a problem with your single-ply roof or are looking for an expert to install your new single-ply roof, Alley Capital can answer all your questions.
Read on for a brief overview of everything you need to know about single-ply membranes:
1) Single-ply membranes can be categorized into two main groups:
- Thermoset membranes (EPDM/rubber)
- Compounded from synthetic rubber polymers
- Ideal for large roof areas, since they can be installed with fewer seams
- Once a thermoset membrane is cured, it can only be bonded to similar materials with adhesives
- Thermoplastic membranes (PVC, TPO)
- Usually include a reinforcement layer of polyester or fiberglass, for added strength
- Seams are hot-air welded together
- When cooled, thermoplastic membranes return to their original material type
- Can be re-heated and re-cooled multiple times
2) Regardless of type, single-ply membranes come with several attractive benefits:
- Single-ply membranes are cost-effective.
- Single-ply membranes are easy to install.
- Single-ply membranes are good temperature regulators in both summer and winter.
- Single-ply membranes are flexible.
- Single-ply membranes are resistant to chemicals. (PVC and TPO especially are noted for their excellent resistance to oils and grease.)
- Single-ply membranes have a superior life expectancy (40+ years with proper maintenance).
- Single-ply membranes are easy to maintain. An annual cleaning and bi-annual inspections are usually sufficient.
Call Alley Today!
Looking to hire a commercial roofing contractor you can trust to help you make the right decision regarding your single-ply roof? To schedule a free inspection or receive more information about our single-ply roofing systems and repair services, call us at (417) 825-0286.